[WEB SECURITY] IP address change: relogin

Stephan Wehner stephanwehner at gmail.com
Thu May 22 12:23:29 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 7:43 AM, Martin O'Neal
<martin.oneal at corsaire.com> wrote:

>> If there are other methods, I'd be interested in hearing about them
> too.
>
> I think what people are looking for here is a technical solution to a
> logical problem.  Logically, an attacker that already has access to the
> data in transit (or on the client), has access to all the components
> needed to subvert any controls you can implement at the client.  All
> they need is the time and desire to subvert them.

Well, looking at a simple XSS case, where the "attacker gets the
cookies", but not much more: they wouldn't find it easy to spoof the
IP address.

Thanks everyone, for all the replies!

Sounds like using the IP address is not as useful as I hoped. I like
the idea of XHR - 'passive authentication'.

Stephan

--
Stephan Wehner

-> http://stephan.sugarmotor.org