[WEB SECURITY] FW: What's the Difference; PEN Testing and Black Box Testing?

Joe White joe at cyberlocksmith.com
Fri May 9 23:54:04 EDT 2008

Hi Susan,

My understanding of the term "Black Box" is that it assumes no prior
knowledge meaning that the target is black or without prior knowledge
when the assessment and/or pen test is started.  It is fair to say
that the term "Black Box" can be applied to any activity that
commences with no prior knowledge.  Of course the term "white box"
then implies some prior knowledge, etc.

Pen-testing (Penetration testing) is often used interchangeable with
the term "ethical hacking" but I believe they are effectively
synonymous and I also think that you can have a "Black Box" Pen-test
or ethical hacking engagement, just like you can have a "white box"
penetration test or ethical hacking engagement.  Again, "black box"
means no prior knowledge and "white box" implies that some prior
knowledge of the terget was offfered by the oragnization requestiung
the pen-test.

I suppose the analogy also extends to SDLC in the sense that if you
are supplied the entire source code (white box) or you are not (black
box).

hope this helps,
joe

<<<>>>