[WEB SECURITY] FW: What's the Difference; PEN Testing and Black Box Testing?

Arshan Dabirsiaghi arshan.dabirsiaghi at aspectsecurity.com
Fri May 9 22:38:41 EDT 2008

Susan,

Black box testing is a type of pen testing. "Pen testing" is short for "penetration testing", which denotes any kind of testing whereby the analysts are actually attacking a website, rather than simply reviewing code, looking at architecture diagrams or performing threat modeling.

Black box penetration testing is an attack simulation where the analysts attack the application without knowing the inner workings of the system they are attacking. There is always something of a debate over whether or not it is more effective than "white box" testing, the opposite type of live attack simulation where the analysts have access to all the details of the system during the penetration test, such as the source code, configuration files, etc.

The arguments in the security world usually go something like this:

*
	Blackbox is better because you don't give your source code to scary consultants and it's more realistic
*
	Whitebox is better because it's cheaper and you find more

Hope that helps clear things up. I'll let someone who's more passionate about SDLC speak to your question about what is best to do where.

Cheers,
Arshan