[WEB SECURITY] Announcing Scrawlr: SQL Injector and Crawler

Hoffman, Billy billy.hoffman at hp.com
Tue Jun 24 22:34:27 EDT 2008

Michael, Zinho,

I'm not sure why people seem to think Scrawlr is a replacement for existing tools like Absinthe or Nikto or Burp, etc. Its not and I'm sorry if you got that impression.

Scrawlr exists for one reason: Some crazy hackers who read Chinese built this:
http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=4294

Microsoft came to us for that specific need. To help them provide developers with tools to prevent these mass exploits. Because the attack tool leverages search engines to find target pages Scrawlr crawls and behaves like an indexing spider. It then SQL injection all query parameters exactly like the attack tool. We then extract all the user tables (be it Oracle, MSSQL, Mysql >=5, etc) to confirm SQL injection before flagging it. I'm very happy with our results.

Is the tool going to find issues behind auth or forms or other web components? No, but neither will the attackers using this mass exploit tool. Can they change tactics and use, for example, Nikto or Burp? Sure.

Could we have released Scrawlr as more of a WI Lite? Yes, but that was never its intent. And if you need something that's more robust by all means grab a free trial of WI or another vendor, or Burp, or Nikto or script some w3af.

Zinho, if you are finding bugs I'd love to learn more about them and get them fixed. Scrawlr supports proxies so that will help you see what is going on. Did the vuln page get crawled?

At the end of the day it's a free tool folks designed to solve a certain issue. I'm certainly open to more feedback but let's keep its original goals in perspective.

Thanks,
Billy Hoffman
--
Manager, HP Web Security Research Group
HP Software - Application Security Center