[WEB SECURITY] Hashing and entropy

Lavery, Oliver oliver at securitycompass.com
Fri Jun 20 19:12:56 EDT 2008

Yes, most definitely the best solution is to avoid the problem altogether. Storing PANs is clearly not an easy problem, but we know lot's of people out there are cobbling together solutions, and likely pass their PCI audits.

I first came across this issue several years ago doing a design review for a service that wanted to do regular monthly billing against a payment processor. Changes to the service were to require the credit card be re-entered and verified against the card on file for security purposes. Of course they wanted to store unsalted MD5 hashes of the credit card number for the verification step ... which we luckily pulled from the design.

PCI is a good initiative, but I shudder to think how it gets enforced as it's so vague. None of the solutions suggested in the bit I quoted are much better than storing the PAN in the clear, except truncation, perhaps.

(I'm not sure how "index tokens and pads" is meant to be interpreted, but if it means one time pads, it actually might be a pretty good option)