[WEB SECURITY] Announcing the Web Application Security Roadmap v0.9. Modest proposal...

Glenn.Everhart at chase.com Glenn.Everhart at chase.com
Mon Apr 28 13:21:02 EDT 2008

Perhaps when speaking of web app security, an already enormous area, it is
not so useful to enlarge it still more, but "fools rush in..."..

One way to look at web code (and many other kinds) is that we are sending
strings to an interpreter and it does things. What makes security hard is
that the underlying interpreter doesn't give us much (any?) help in figuring
out what the set of functions/operations done are, so if we get some string
together we are going to pass, which we want to do some set of things, and if
it does some different set because it is an attacker, we don't have any easy way
to find out or do anything.

(This is easier to see with SQL or other languages where the string passing tends
to be easier to identify.)

Suppose the interpreter were made to count how many times major functions ran -
stuff from its parse tree - and make some kind of hash or structure that encapsulated
these counts (or even the functions only, counting just "done" or "not done"), and
returned that the first time it was run, and gave a way to rerun the call a second
time if this count were what was wanted?

You'd need a way to train your app in what was wanted, or otherwise somehow figure
out these hashes or structures without editing every time, and you'd need a way to
get the underlying interpreter to check what was passed to it, compare the "legality"
functions, and execute finally what was legal. (This can be viewed as an access control
system if you like.)

But might such a system not give a way to keep web apps (or others) from doing unexpected
things?

The next question might be: could a web page be constructed so that this kind of thing
might be done, altering only logic at the server?

If it can be, then, would it not make sense to think about building a server or servers
with such properties available, so that one could write a web site that would tend only
to behave in predictable ways?

Or would such a thing so constrain what could be done that it is useless?

It seems to me that the numerous attacks are such that removing them one at a time is
a bit like using a hammer to wipe out a roach infestation, and some more generic
approaches should be asked about. But what about it? Does anyone have some suggestions
that might be generic and might be possible to implement a site at a time?

Glenn C. Everhart
302 282 3122