[WEB SECURITY] Defeating nonce/token based CSRF protection

Zinho zinho at hackerscenter.com
Thu Apr 17 14:17:43 EDT 2008

You're right Jeroen,
That's why I believe that strong CAPTCHA's are more robust than tokens
(nonces).
The problem with CAPTCHA's is that they are not always practicable. I've
worked to fix CSRF problems into Joomla and such new CMS are full of
ajax features and toggle buttons that are meant to increase usability
and, at least in the case of CSRF, decrease security.
Another solution would be to ask for further user authentication (login
again) before performing  "sensitive" actions.
Anyway, in my opinion, there is so little attention to CSRF from web
developers that every time I see the use of tokens into the web
application I pen test, it seems a miracle to me.

--
----
Zinho

Webmaster and Founder