[WEB SECURITY] Bypassing XML schema validation

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at greebo.net
Fri Mar 31 19:59:43 EST 2006

There are several ways I am aware of. DTD / XSD validation is not
particularly granular, and often it is not performed. Even worse,
because it's a lot of work to create, most programs I've reviewed, if
they have a DTD or XSD do not have a particularly robust set of
validations - usually "this node is a string", which is insufficient.

For example, the devs designing the DTD / XSD might:

a) not include sufficient robust details of *how* the schema works,
so you can add additional nodes, like this:

<node>
<attribute name="foo">real value</attribute>
<attribute name="foo">attack</attribute>
</node>

This worked for me with a custom system a week ago. "Attack" was
selected due to the XML parser in use (YMMV as to *which* node will
be selected in XPath queries).

b) not include sufficient validation, and you can use that to inject
bad strings with impunity:

<node>
<attribute name="foo">javascript:alert(document.cookie)</attribute>
</node>

Again, this worked for me less than a week ago.

c) Validation is rarely turned on, and even it is ... how many times
has the DTD not been available to the XML processor? Try looking at
your DTD URL and see if you can download it. If not, it's highly
likely that the XML processor cannot either, and most processors give
up validation at that stage and let the data through. Only Biztalk
seems to stop processing in my experience. All of them go slow.

No exploit necessary.

I'm sure others will have more, but this is more than enough to get
you started.

thanks,
Andrew