[WEB SECURITY] Re: Jeremiah Grossman writes about buffer overflow myths

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at greebo.net
Wed Mar 15 10:47:06 EST 2006

I have back in January, but it has been a long time between drinks. I
found no buffer overflows in the reviews I conducted in 2005, and
only IIRC one in 2004. I did maybe 20-30 app reviews a year prior to
2005, and in 2005 I started doing massive reviews of major systems,
looking at very large code bases.

What surprised me was how incredibly resistant the developer from my
January review was about fixing them, even though they are completely
preventable. Only when we showed how trivial it was to exploit them
did they fix only the demo overflows we crafted. This is yet another
reason why I think languages like C++ and C have had their day,
particularly in relation to enterprise class apps.

Compared to say validation, authorization and injection issues,
buffer overflows are completely over-hyped. When I finish Guide 2.1,
my next target is to revitalize the Top 10, and buffer overflows are
out.

thanks,
Andrew