[WEB SECURITY] (XSS via file extension) XSS-Phishing on Financial Sites

Matt Fisher mfisher at spidynamics.com
Wed Jun 28 10:14:05 EDT 2006

>>JPG on the server that then breaks is a little more obvious - at least to me.

Now I am thinking that I did miss something.  Does the jpeg have to break ? Is there anything that would keep your own embedded script in the fake jpeg from drawing a real jpeg as well ? For instance, load up a fake (script) image to the server, load up a real one, fake (script) image runs an exploit and then draws an image tag with the real one as the source, or an off-site one, etc.

I played with object and embed tags a bit last night and got no soup.  Of course qualifying that as just casual playing, not seriously concerted research.