[WEB SECURITY] PCI standards regarding appsec to change again?

Dave King davefd at davewking.com
Tue Jun 27 12:37:29 EDT 2006

Besides not allowing sites to accept credit cards, hitting the pocket
book is another way to encourage people to comply.  For example
according to
http://usa.visa.com/business/accepting_visa/ops_risk_management/cisp.html

"Members are subject to fines, up to $500,000 per incident, for any
merchant or service provider that is compromised and not compliant at
the time of the incident."

Also, if you are compromised then you automatically become a level 1
merchant and would have to do yearly on site audits after that.  That
can be pretty pricey for a company that was a level 2, 3, or 4 previously.

Recently several banks and credit card processors are requiring PCI
compliance or they won't allow the merchant to process credit cards.  It
seems that this is happening more to new companies that want to start
processing credit cards than companies that are already established
though.  I do agree that more needs to be done.  It seems like measures
such as huge increases in discount rates or as you said not allowing
merchants to accept cards at all if they're not compliant.

Laters,
Dave King