[WEB SECURITY] (XSS via file extension) XSS-Phishing on Financial Sites

arian.evans arian.evans at anachronic.com
Tue Jun 27 10:55:37 EDT 2006

Right, that's what I was saying, for things that IE is natively
set to handle in Windows shell extensions (and only those things)
IE does it's magic byte header detection, then treats as a doc.
Else IE/windows launches the mapped application to handle the extension.

> But that's not really much of an exploit since it requires the user
> to click on it first.

*Nah, not at all.*

There are tons of functions in applications, from thumbnail previews
to avatars to folder icons, that web-based apps like Document
Management Systems (DMSes) use. In the case of thumbnail views,
this is automatic, in the case of avatars/folder icons, whatever,
it's still user supplied but not *ONE* windows based system I've
ever tested validates file type (and only one unix system I've
tested does this). One windows-based system had a client-side
activeX control for validating file type, but a proxy fixed that
pretty easily.

Now, again, in the case of a DMS system (or web-based fax system
where users click on bmps and pngs all day) there is no social
engineering required for the click, or perhaps more precisely the
behavior is already patterned, but below I was referring to completely
transparent execution of the script in a page.

1) Embed full script

-or-

2) Directive:payload if already being rendered in a script (e.g.
moving custom avatar)

> > http://www.anachronic.com/xss/scriptalert.jpg
> >
> > Anywhere you can embed/reference an image, IE will execute
> > script types it understands for image (any) extensions it has
> > native shell extension handling configured to use itself for.
> >
> > If you can get the image to 'render' inline of an existing script,
> > you may be able to get away with a simple directive as such:
> >
> > http://www.anachronic.com/xss/shortalert.jpg
> >
> > It's quite fun, and most web-based DMSes are vulnerable to
> > this type of abuse, say *nothing* of the zillions of sites
> > that allow custom avatars.
> >
> > This is definitely something the browser could kabosh
> > short-term, though long term you'd think DMS systems would
> > want to validate all user supplied data, including the
> > /documents/ themselves.

-ae