[WEB SECURITY] Application Security Hacking Videos

Joseph Peloquin jpelo1 at jcpenney.com
Fri Jun 2 12:40:35 EDT 2006

Paul, let me say first that I've been reading your posts and articles
for years, live in the "Metroplex" myself, and have a lot of respect for
you.

With regard to the topic at hand, however, I disagree with you and agree
with the gentleman that is happy to work with a company that
acknowledges its vulnerabilities and publishes fixes in a timely manner.

We all know the tendancy for security to take a back-seat to business.
In a perfect world, we'd see security built-in to the SDL for any type
of application, security product or not.  The fact of the matter is
shareholders, time-to-market, and many other factors lead businesses to
cut corners.  I can tolerate this, even in my security products, so long
as the vendor is responsive and remediates vulnerabilities in a timely
manner.

That said, I use ISS and TippingPoint products, and they are not "bullet
proof";

ISS
I'm not going through the entire database, but Secunia has a few on ISS;
http://secunia.com/product/2348/#advisories

3Com/TippingPoint
Albeit it's in the SMS, not the IPS itself, and severity-level aside, TP
has one lately;
http://www.3com.com/securityalert/alerts/3COM-06-002.html

Having just completed evaluating TP in January, I also know about the
tiny-fragment evasion issue from last fall, which was also fixed very
quickly.

Cheers,
Joey Peloquin