[WEB SECURITY] analyzing web application attack data

Ryan Barnett rcbarnett at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 13:55:50 EDT 2006

Interesting stuff.

As Jeremiah indicated, I am heading up the WASC Distributed Open Web
Proxy Honeypot Project (http://www.webappsec.org/projects/honeypots/).
 This is essentially the 2nd generation of my previous deployment that
was highlighted in the Honeynet Project's Scan of the Month Challenge
# 31 - http://www.honeynet.org/scans/scan31/ except in this deployment
we are correlating data from multiple sensors.

The WASC deployment takes a different approach then the ones run by
Fortify, etc... in that they are front-ending valued web targets such
as Banks and the like whereas we are running as an open proxy and not
front-ending anything in particular.  This means that we should see
more general web attack data and these vendors are seeing more attacks
that target ecommerce/banks.  With this different approach in mind, we
are still seeing similar stats to what Fortify highlighed -
BOT/Automated scans, Googlehacking, etc...

If anyone is interested in participating in the WASC honeypot project,
please let me know.  We have been testing out our central logging
infrastructure and I am finalizing our VMware image version of our
Apache open proxy sensor that participants can download it and get up
and running quickly.

--
Ryan C. Barnett
Web Application Security Consortium (WASC) Member
Author: Preventing Web Attacks with Apache