[WEB SECURITY] application attacks

Schmidt, Albert E AES at ola.state.md.us
Mon Jul 17 15:54:39 EDT 2006

I think it would be impossible or extremely difficult for any individual
or group of individuals to write a web application without
vulnerabilities just by their know ledge alone.  When ever I audit a web
application, I test to see if the agency performs web application scans
as part of their development cycle (prior to moving a web application
into production).  If they do not, I make a formal recommendation that
they do.  The state of Maryland's Department of Budget and Management's
Systems Development Life Cycle requires agencies to scan applications
for vulnerabilities (see excerpt below).

Al S.

Excerpt: Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) - Volume 2, SDLC Phases,
Dated July 2002

Source: Maryland Department of Budget and Management

INTEGRATION AND TEST PHASE

1.0 OBJECTIVE

The objective of this phase is to prove that the developed system
satisfies the requirements defined in the FRD. Another purpose is to
perform an integrated system test function as specified by the design
parameters. This function shall be the responsibility of the system
testers and will be heavily supported by the user participants.

Prerequisites of this phase are the FRD, project management plan and
schedule, system baseline software and documents, and a test plan
containing all test requirements and schedules.

Several types of tests will be conducted in this phase. First, subsystem
integration tests shall be executed and evaluated by the development
team to prove that the program components integrate properly into the
subsystems and that the subsystems integrate properly into an
application. Next, the testing team conducts and evaluates system tests
to ensure the developed system meets all technical requirements,
including performance requirements. Next, the testing team and the
Security Program Manager conduct security tests to validate that the
access and data security requirements are met. Finally, users
participate in acceptance testing to confirm that the developed system
meets all user requirements as stated in the FRD. Acceptance testing
shall be done in a simulated "real" user environment with the users
using simulated or real target platforms and infrastructures.

2.3 Conduct Security Testing

The test and evaluation team will again create or load the test
database(s) and execute security (penetration) test(s). All tests will
be documented, similar to those above. Failed components will be
migrated back to the development phase for rework, and passed components
will be migrated ahead for acceptance testing.