[WEB SECURITY] About Sarbanes-Oxley.

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at greebo.net
Tue Jul 4 09:15:09 EDT 2006

Generally,

First, you need to understand if you need to comply with SOX at all.
If you're not a publicly traded US firm or have significant US
interests, it simply does not apply to you.

SOX is very simple: the directors of the firm must state at least
once per year "our financial records are true and accurate" and have
adequate -financial- controls in place to prevent another Enron. This
is usually process driven; it shouldn't be possible for one person to
place the entire company in jeopardy through deliberate fraud or
mistakes.

SOX compliance surrounding financial systems is only true when a
comprehensive Information Security program is in place -around-
financial and other core business systems (ie if you're a company
like Amazon, your GL and your logistics software must be protected.
If you're like an ISP then the GL and the systems which allow you to
enrol and service customers to prevent significant churn must be
protected). As every company is different, there is no One True Way
or one set of machines to protect.

Most folks end up adopting COBIT as it's reasonably comprehensive. Be
prepared to spend some serious $$$$$$ for your average firm
investigating and implementing the risk based controls. It's not just
picking up the control framework and pointing at it when the auditors
come through.

WebAppSec standards are few and far between. I put in mappings to
relevant COBIT sections in the Guide 2.0 as I was going through
exactly the same thing last year, so probably the OWASP Guide 2.0 is
your best bet if your web apps are directly relevant to the bottom
line of your firm. If your web apps are brochureware, it's unlikely
you need to remediate them for SOX "compliance".

thanks,
Andrew