[WEB SECURITY] Tools or software for hacking windows/iis.

Hauser, Donald DHauser at nas.edu
Thu Dec 21 14:23:16 EST 2006

Albert,

Since you said you were a non-technical user, you are more then likely
going to crash or DoS the server, to prove a point, even with the users
guide. If you want to get proficient with metasploit set up a lab at
home and use it there. After you have seen what it's capable of then I
would use it on corporate assets only with the prior permission of the
CTO, CSO and or CIO of the State of Maryland. Otherwise you are going to
get yourself fired.

I have to believe that the state has some sort of IPS/IDS systems
deployed and at the very least you are going to trigger some alarms. At
any place that I have ever worked even security professionals that
engage in active unsolicited penetration to prove a point or for
course/study work are typically fired.

If you are the person responsible for this sort of work for the state,
then either hire an ethical hacker (we are out there) or set up a lab
first and get lots of experience with this or any open source security
tool that you plan on using. In my experience even successful attacks
with metasploit often require a server reboot. This is an event that
most organizations don't want during normal business hours.

Donald~