[WEB SECURITY] IE7 Phishing Filter Tells Microsoft The URLS You Visit?

Jason Muskat, GCFA, GCUX, de VE3TSJ Jason at TechDude.Ca
Thu Dec 21 00:50:31 EST 2006

Hello,

Yes. There are two types of Anti-Phishing "filters":

1) Download the list and compare locally -- May URL-like filters work this
way
2) Check each URL remotely

The general direction for this and URL-like filtering is the latter; kinda
like DNS RBLs.

Before the feature is enabled one should read the license and privacy
policy; then realize that this information is being sent over the Internet
in the clear.

As of yet I have not seen a "Do not check the following domains and IP
address ranges" setting. It is not uncommon to see "encoded" passwords and
such sent off to the provider.

Regards,

--
Jason Muskat  | GCFA, GCUX - de VE3TSJ