[WEB SECURITY] comparing information security to other industries

Will Jefferies wjefferies at fncinc.com
Tue Dec 19 16:02:03 EST 2006

That's a tough question to address.  I don't think the security industry
will achieve perfection no more than the other industries you listed.

Like the other disciplines, research continues, but so do the evolution
of threats.  Construction and engineering is plagued with their own set
of challenges that must be overcome.

Buildings can be engineered and constructed with a high degree of
confidence, but a good, strong storm or earthquake can still bring them
down.  Security is the same in that sense.

We can evolve our knowledge and implementations, but a good, strong
storm (or careless error) can bring it all down :-)

My 0.02

Will