[WEB SECURITY] New two-stage login procedure

Billy Hoffman Billy.Hoffman at spidynamics.com
Wed Dec 13 17:32:04 EST 2006

ANI != Caller ID. See (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_number_identification).

While CallerID is easier to spoof than an ANI, the barriers to spoof an ANI are lower than they were back in the day. Lucky225 has been doing a lot of cool work in that space over the last several years.

Besides the classic way to spoof an ANI (perform an ANI fail through a 3rd party operator), Esteban pointed out the other, easier way: using an Asterisk box. There was a pretty funny presentation at Toorcon this year (http://www.toorcon.org/2006/conference.html?id=24). Some guy set up an Asterisk box that would ANI spoof to allow you to access anyone's voicemail box. The presenter made up a bunch of business cards and, as he put it "gave them to the most vindictive people I could think of: females 20-somethings."

And good fun was had by all,
Billy Hoffman
--
Lead Researcher, SPI Labs