[WEB SECURITY] On Session Riding, Client-side Trojans and Cross-site Request Forgeries

Bill Pennington bill at whitehatsec.com
Wed May 4 16:26:00 EDT 2005

Ok this is a better example than your voting one ;-)

This is why I hate the english language, there are not a lot of good
words to describe this. I still think it is cross site scripting used
to attack an insufficiently protected application, now that is a nasty
bit of english... Just because the code is on my site does not mean
that XSS is not occurring, it is just a different vector. If we step
back and allow for XSS to include "Request" and not just scripting (aka
javascript) then I still think it fits into the existing classification
system. I do believe that there is a lot more work that could be done
to tighten up the classification system and perhaps finding ways to
explain and classify these types of situations would be a good start.

---
Bill Pennington, CISSP, CCNA
VP Services
WhiteHat Security Inc.