[WEB SECURITY] magic_quotes

Dave King davefd at davewking.com
Tue Jun 21 18:27:49 EDT 2005

I'm personally not a big fan of magic_quotes.  I think it makes the code
less portable since if it's moved to a server with that feature off by
mistake then you're toast.  Also I think it's just a good idea to code
it with correct checking in the first place and you'll be much better
off in the end.

First of all you should pretty much always check your all outside
variables before using them.  for example in your code you have
$DATA->id which likely is a number so you should use is_numeric to make
sure it's a number.  If it's not a number you can use preg_match and a
regular expression from regexlib.com to check just about anything.
Owasp.org also has a php filter library that can help sanitize input
http://www.owasp.org/software/labs/phpfilters.html .

After the input is checked then you should use
mysql_real_escape_string() to fix the variable.  So your query would become

$q = mysql_query ("SELECT * FROM whatever WHERE id = '" .
mysql_real_escape_string($DATA->id) . "'");

or if the id is a number you can drop the tick and do
$q = mysql_query ("SELECT * FROM whatever WHERE id = " .
mysql_real_escape_string($DATA->id));

Laters,
Dave