[WEB SECURITY] Password Recovery

Irene Abezgauz irene.abezgauz at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 18:36:49 EDT 2005

The issue is, as always, the balance between the users feeling
comfortable and the desired security level.
You could say the domain could get changed/hijacked, but that's not a
very likely scenario, you can't protect against everything. For the case
of the change/hijacking you have the secret question issue, where you
make sure with another layer of security that even if your link falls
into the wrong hands - it's not enough to just hijack that account.
You could of course say passwords are unrecoverable, and a new one will
be delivered to you over postal. Then again, the person could have moved
to a different apartment and somebody else will get his mail.
What I am trying to say is, nothing is 100% proof. You can go that extra
mile, the question is - will your users?
Unfortunately, they usually won't. That's why you need to find the
balance between comfort and security.
The way I see it, mailing a complex link and then requesting the secret
question/answer is a good two-layered measure that provides with
relatively safe password reset/recovery.

Irene

Irene Abezgauz
Application Security Consultant
Hacktics Ltd.