[WEB SECURITY] Password Recovery

Jeremiah Grossman jeremiah at whitehatsec.com
Wed Jun 15 18:25:19 EDT 2005

I agree that using secret questions alone isnt't the best idea, however
they still can be of use. The challenge is selecting the right password
recovery model, or combination of models, for the system we're
securing. Low security vs. high security - easy vs. inconvenient.

Currently, I'm a fan of the password reset request using email
verification (All the usual precautions taken of course). This does
require a registered email address, but for the user it's simple, easy,
and a fairly secure process.

For the more secure systems we can consider combining knowledge or
usernames, email address, secret questions, etc.

Jeremiah-