[WEB SECURITY] "Microsoft's Security Response Center: How Little Patches Are Made"

robert at webappsec.org robert at webappsec.org
Fri Jun 10 09:26:03 EDT 2005

This eweek article discusses the security patch process at Microsoft.

"ORLANDO, Fla. Anxious to shed the company's image as having a lax attitude about software
security, officials at the Microsoft Security Response Center are using the Tech Ed conference
here to provide a rare glimpse at the step-by-step process used to create, test and roll out
security patches.

The software maker trained the spotlight on the operations of the MSRC during breakout sessions
and one-on-one discussions with customers, stressing that all publicly and privately reported
vulnerabilities are thoroughly investigated to determine whether customers are at risk.

"We're on all the [security mailing] lists, just like you are, and we investigate everything, even
if it's a post about a simple weird behavior in a product," said MSRC program manager Stephen
Toulouse.

By monitoring the public lists and underground hacker sites, Toulouse said the company is able to
keep track of discussions about vulnerabilities that may not have been reported to Microsoft" - eweek

- Robert Auger
robert_aTt_webappsec.org
http://www.cgisecurity.com