[WEB SECURITY] "Meanwhile, on the other side of the web server" - a writeup by Amit Klein

Ryan Barnett rcbarnett at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 21:08:07 EDT 2005

Amit,
This is great stuff!  You know, it might be worth mentioning the
different techniques used to identify intermediary devices such as
proxies, etc...  This would need to be accomplished prior to running
the attacks that you outline.  Here are some examples -

1) Use of the HTTP TRACE Method
The old traceroute for the web - You can send off the trace request to
web sites and any intermediate HTTP proxies will add their name to the
"Via" header.  I am still surprised at the number of proxies that are
still forwarding TRACE requests...

2) Inspecting Location Response Headers
Reverse proxies may leak the back-end host within the location header.

3) Hostname disclosures
DNS lookups and some error pages from proxies may disclose a hostname
that indicates that it is a proxy.  Take a look at the Netcraft
SearchDNS interface.  I put in a search for any domain name that
starts with "cache.*" and it returned over 300 entries -
http://searchdns.netcraft.com/?restriction=site+contains&host=cache.*&position=limited.

4) Virtual Hostname Errors
You might also be able to identify reverse proxies by munging the
"Host:" request header.  You could leave it blank, leave off the
domian extension or append a dot at the end - such as
"www.companyx.com." - as different reverse proxies handle the requests
differently (semantic) and display different status codes and error
messages.

5) HTTP Fingerprinting
A tool such as HTTPrint may be able to identify some HTTP devices (the
current signature set has a few fingerprints that may help such as for
Cisco-HTTP, etc...).

Those are all I can think of off the top of my head.  Does anyone else
have any techniques for identifying intermediate proxies, etc...???

Again, great work with presenting this data.  It is certainly an area
that security professionals need to examine with trying to secure a
web infrastructure.

--
Ryan C. Barnett
Web Application Security Consortium (WASC) Member