[WEB SECURITY] security audit - how to avoid legal prosecution

Martin O'Neal martin.oneal at corsaire.com
Wed Jun 8 10:59:42 EDT 2005

> Any chance for legal prosecution

"Ring, ring. Hello, Mr.Smith? I notice that you have a 1998 Ford. Are you aware there is a manufacturers defect in the central locking system? Don't worry though; I've broken into your car, just to confirm that it is indeed faulty (I like your 6-track; very retro). If you give me a $1000 I can tell you how I broke in, and if you are lucky I can even help get the manufacturer to fix the fault."

Noticing a flaw through normal use is acceptable (anyone want to guess how many high profile site's forms break with a name like O'Neal?). Researching someone's site without authorisation is an entirely different kettle of fish, and depending upon your and their physical location, the exact details will be covered by one jurisdiction or other. For additional reading see the UK Computer Misuse Act etc.

Unauthorised access is generally illegal. Expecting an organisation to be anything other than hostile to such an approach would be naïve.

Martin...

CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are
confidential and intended solely for the use of the recipient(s) only.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking
any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities
other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited.  If you have
received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately
and destroy the material whether stored on a computer or otherwise.
DISCLAIMER:  Any views or opinions presented within this e-mail are
solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those
of Corsaire Limited, unless otherwise specifically stated.
Corsaire Limited, 3 Tannery House, Tannery Lane, Send, Surrey, GU23 7EF
Telephone: +44(0)1483-226000  Email:info at corsaire.com