[WASC-WAFEC] AWS WAF

Tony Turner tony.turner at owasp.org
Fri Oct 9 08:20:09 EDT 2015

Hi Christian, thanks for your question. One of the things I'd like want to
get away from in a future version of WAFEC, not sure if it will make the
next release, is the yes/no responses. Ideally I'd like to identify a
scoring mechanism, say on a scale of 1-10 how a product meets a specific
criteria. So 2 WAF vendors may both have signatures for XSS, but one may be
much better at detecting evasion attempts, maybe one doesn't normalize,
etc. or 2 vendors may have mechanisms for mitigating that vary in
effectiveness. Otherwise with a binary approach for core capabilities, you
are correct there will likely be very little deviation from many WAF
vendors until we start hitting the extrinsic criteria. There's likely a ton
of research and testing as well as some tool development efforts to support
more granular evaluations such as this, which is why I think the next
release may be too soon for this.

The additional qualifiers you mention could be covered by that scaled
approach. Some of these qualifiers will also be called out in a separate
set of extrinsic criteria. For instance, ease of use might be a category on
its own that includes criteria for specific items related to ease of use
such as GUI functionality as well as criteria that allows the evaluator to
judge how intuitive the interface is, tuning violations and policies, how
difficult to generate or customize reports, etc. Additional criteria like
architectural change categories to clearly spell out where the solution
requires things like additional ports to be opened, changing IP schemes, OS
level changes like agent installation or authentication changes, etc. Other
extrinsic criteria such as user communities, vendor training and
documentation, product certification, sales process and more could be
evaluated in the same fashion, but I don't intend to go beyond technical
criteria, feature sets and usage for the purposes of WAFEC documentation.
I'm not sure I'm prepared to provide guidance in WAFEC documentation, for
example, identifying how vendors should be working with customers. Some of
these extrinsic categories may never find their way into the core WAFEC
document, but might still be included in a response matrix.

The biggest problem with those kinds of evaluations is they tend to be very
subjective and don't align well to a mature and repeatable process with
multiple end-users comparing results. When I've created similar matrixes in
the past, (namely for vulnerability management and SIEM products) I've
always done something similar here and admittedly done a poor job of
clearly identifying what is the difference between a 8 and a 6 as I went
with a gut feel and have typically been the only user (except when a
certain VM vendor got a copy of my matrix I used for a bake-off and thought
it would be a great sales tool). That's a maturity consideration that will
be planned for before we include that capability in a future Response
Matrix.

One thing I've done in the past that I intend to bring over, however, is
the concept of weighting. For instance I've typically used a weight of 1-5
so that I could assign different weights to criteria. For instance, maybe
you don't care as much about how impactful the deployment will be so you
assign those criteria a weight of 1, while the ability to have robust
support for policy tuning might be a 5 and associated scoring would have a
much greater impact on overall score.  This way, once a WAF has been
evaluated, even if the requirements change the scores can be easily
recalculated based on the new set of weighted requirements.

tony.turner at owasp.org
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Orlando