[WASC-WAFEC] AWS WAF

Christian Strache cs at strache-it.de
Fri Oct 9 03:15:20 EDT 2015

  Dear Tony,

your explanations sound reasonable.
But, when you created your requirement catalogue and try to compare
different products, many 'big players' (i.e. Gartner listed WAFs) offer
the same set of features.
So, for example using the WAFEC to find a suitable product for a
customer with few requirements often ends up with a drawn in the
evaluation.
I guess if try to find out what features an AWS WAF offers,
Blacklisting, Whitelisting, Signatures, regular updates etcetera the AWS
WAF will fulfill those features. The quality and the customization
features however may differ from the once you get with other 'on
premise' products.

Do you think it may be possible to add a criteria to the WAFEC to
distinguish between:
- yes, product offers feature XYZ
and
- yes, product offers feature XYZ based on a GUI/requires manual adaption
or
- yes, product offers features XYZ but only allows restricted adaption
requiering operating system level changes.

Kind regards,
Christian