[WASC-WAFEC] WAFEC Update and CFV

Mark Kraynak mark at imperva.com
Wed Aug 5 15:02:33 EDT 2015

I’m not going to be at Black Hat or AppSecUSA, (which probably robs me of any street cred, but in my defense, I’ve got a child on the way very soon and need to stay in town for a while once she’s born).

I’m very encouraged to see this moving ahead.  I’d like to offer mine and Imperva’s help in whatever way seems apropriate.  In the past, I’ve been a contributor to WAFEC and written some of the sections of v1 as well as drafts for the v2 which never seemed to get off the ground. A few others at Imperva have done the same.  However, I think the sentiment on this thread (which I agree with) is that this should be led by end-users.  So it may mean the most apropos way to do this would be for me / others to review and provide commentary.

Also, somewhere along the way, there was a discussion of how to create an effective testing/benchmarking regime for WAFEC.  As it happens this is a subject near and dear to a few people here at Imperva.  We found ourselves struggling to show customers that testing for false negatives only (which is the default for many security testers) was really not enough to evaluate a WAF.  So we created a testing tool that allows a tester to test both false positives and false negatives.  This is software we wrote and released as a free tool, I’m very proud of the name which is the WAF Testing Framework or WTF for short.  It comes with a test suite that goes against WebGoat (not written by us), but the test suite can be fully customized with relatively easy scripting.  My intention all along for this tool was to find a home outside of Imperva for it so that the community could create a test suite that could rise above the hint of vendor influence.  If this group would be interested in taking a look and evaluating whether it could be the basis for a WAFEC testing tool, I’d be happy to contribute it and open source the underlying code.

Anyone that’s interested can download the tool here: https://www.imperva.com/lg/lgw.asp?pid=483 (Note: it requires a registration, but if you contact me directly I can have it sent to you without the lead gen hassle)