[WASC-WAFEC] Question about WAFEC.

Robert A. robert at webappsec.org
Thu Jun 19 13:01:33 EDT 2014

> I have made the assumption that:
>
> 1. Your an experienced end user of ModSecurity i.e.
> http://br.linkedin.com/pub/klaubert-herr/51/b58/128
>
> 2. ... and also the developer of http://waf-fle.org/about/ i.e. a
> ModSecurity Console which is GNUv3 licensed i.e.
> https://github.com/klaubert/waf-fle/blob/master/LICENSE
>
> I am seeking end users i.e. 1. above
>
> Therefore, the conflict of interest would be 2. which could be
> resolved if the other developers of competing ModSecurity Console(s),
> such as http://www.jwall.org/, etc.
>
> If this can't be resolved without dispute then I could credit your
> [accepted] contribution as a ModSecurity "Independent Developer" (i.e.
> not the vendor Trustwave) since I would like to declare any possible
> bias, even unintended, within WAFECv2
>
> The "Independent Developer" classification is different from the
> contributions made by vendors themselves such as Imperva, Trustwave
> and possibly https://www.ironbee.com/ i.e. Qualys, etc.
>
> I have no issue if you would like to highlight that you contributed x,
> y and z to WAFECv2 on http://waf-fle.org/ of which the reader was able
> to click a link which would also provide a list of other possible
> solution(s) that adhered to x, y and z of which the other vendors
> would have to undertake their own evaluation with an independent
> testing authority.

Christian,
At WASC we are ok with individuals representing themselves however they
want, and in fact if they work at a vendor/services provider encourage the
disclosure.

Really there isn't a 'conflict of interest' for project contributors. If
there arises an issue it is up to the project leader to resolve openly on
the list. The only real area where 'conflict of interest' exists, is when
it comes to project leadership. A project leader/leaders CAN NOT lead a
project if there is a conflict of interest (employer, personal product
or service, etc). This is one of the things WASC has been good at enforcing,
and will continue to do so to ensure no bias.

Regards,
Robert Auger
WASC Co Founder/WASC Officer
http://www.webappsec.org/