[WASC-WAFEC] WAFEC 2.0 Comments chapters 1 and 2

Ofer Shezaf ofer at shezaf.com
Mon Jan 28 15:59:23 EST 2013

Hi Klaubert Herr and Achim,

I think that Klaubert Herr makes an important point in both the remark about
IPS and Next Gen FW. An important goal of WAFEC is to make the distinction
between WAFs and other security systems. IPS and NG-FW are certainly
different than WAFs in both goals (the important part) and methodology (less
important but still worth noting).

Of special importance is the difference between WAFs and IPSs as too many of
the latter present themselves as WAFs for PCI purposes. Klaubert Herr
provides an interesting take on the difference, and while I mostly agree,
details are of importance. For example, is correlating inbound and outbound
(traffic? Events?) mandatory for a WAF?

To that end, I agree with Klaubert Herr  that those questions must be
answered in chapter 2.

~ Ofer