[WASC-WAFEC] Annexure or Supplement Proposed by F5

Ofer Shezaf ofer at shezaf.com
Tue Oct 23 04:52:38 EDT 2012

Thanks Ido for sharing the list. I think all are important issues that need
to find their place either in the body of the document or in the Appendix
dedicated to none core WAF feature.

I would like however to comment on those as criteria, especially as I am
going shortly (for real now) ask your help in actually writing WAFEC 2:

.         Questions vs. criteria: Those are questions and not criteria. To
fit WAFEC they need to be specified as criteria which implies providing
specific options and also making the judgment as to if any why one is
better, generally or for a specific use case.

.         Functional requirements vs. Implementation: in most cases criteria
should focus on functional requirements and not specific implementation
allowing each product to implement differently. Quality is determined by
implemented and therefore for each criterion the answer should include
explanation of the implementation method and not just a yes/no.

o   An example is your questions: "Does the WAF require a load balancer.").
A functional criteria would be require a WAF to provide load balancing. A
load balancer is an implantation method. This also implies that this is a
core WAF requirement by the way.

o   All your "how to" questions fall into this category as well.

.         Generalize: We must try to address all use cases and variants. We
all tend to think about what's close to home. For example. , keep in mind
that a large part of the issues you mention do not apply, at least as
written, to host based WAFs. Making them into a criteria rather than an
implementation question may help. Otherwise they may need to be qualified.

.         With respect to the criteria themselves:

o   Many are valid WAF criteria, Load Balancer or not.

o   You put a lot  of emphasis on the advantage of integrating multiple
functions into a single solution. I think it is a worth criterion as part of
the core of the document, but as a single criterion (level of integration of
something along those lines). Moreover, keep in mind there are good reasons
also for not having multiple functions in a single solution (separation of
duty, management flexibility to name two).

~ Ofer