[WASC-WAFEC] Annexure or Supplement Proposed by F5

Achim Hoffmann websec10 at sic-sec.org
Sun Oct 21 06:49:25 EDT 2012

Hi Ido, all,

as I agree with your list i.g., I disagree partially for the the purpose of WAFEC.
WAFEC's "main purpose is to help a customer choose the right WAF" as you say. In this process all infrastructure and network topics need to be considered too, but
WAFEC solely should focus on the WAF capabilities, not the other ones.
This, and some more considerations, are already coverd in the holistic view
of (biased link):
	https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Best_Practices:_Web_Application_Firewalls

Hence I'll mark the items below, which are not core WAFEC, IMHO.
Hope this helps to keep the focus on WAF - Web Application Firewall.

Cheers,
Achim

Am 21.10.2012 10:16, schrieb Ido Breger:
> Hi,
> Our perception of WAFEC is that its main purpose is to help a customer choose the right WAF for his environment, as we all know, in real life, when selecting a network security product, there are lots of other considerations in addition to (and most important) the security feature checklist. A good security person needs to interact with his network peers, business owners peers, application peers and unless he demonstrates good knowledge in mitigating their concerns while showing them the business value, his ability to "sell" a solution internally is significantly impacted.
>
> The list below includes questions and points of considerations that will surely pop up from various departments while considering a WAF.
> As Christian and Ofer suggested, it may be a good idea to include this list as a annexure. I am sure the list below can be improved.
>
> 1.      Load Balancers considerations:
>       a.        Is it required to add new pools/nodes for the WAF?

not a WAF problem

>       b.        Is it required to deploy, manage and secure SSL certificates on the WAF and the load balancer?

not a WAF problem as the end note seen from the internet, which acts as reverse
proxy, always has to do this

>       c.        From performance perspective, how much latency is added when the requests that passes the load balancer need to pass another bump on the wire (go all the way up to Layer 7 and then down again to layer 2)

not a WAF problem (latency will always decrease if such systems are packed on same
device  :)

>       d.        Is adding A WAF means that the traffic from the WAF goes back to the load balancer and then being distributed to the web servers? (if yes, it multiplies the throughput through the load balancer, if not what functionality of load balancing can't used ?)

hmm, probably I miss some understanding here, but I'd simply say that this describes
a poor configuration

>       e.        Can a single WAF supports the multiple VLANs that typically a load balancer is connected to ?

not a WAF problem

>       f.        Does the WAF require the load balancer to load balance the traffic with session stickiness at layer 7 or L4 if any?

>       g.         How does the WAF deals with connection pooling (most load balancers use connection pooling to reduce the load from the servers behind them) from session management perspective?

this is a good point, but we can omit the comparsion with load balancers

>       h.        If the WAF is blocking by sending a RST packet, what would be the affect to connection pooling? (probably kills the TCP connection and dropping all other browser session that are multiplexed on it)

>       i.        How to setup high availability WAF architecture when it is being deployed in an environment with a load balancer?
>
> 2.      Reverse proxy caching consideration
>       a.        How to prevent the cache from caching blocking response pages of the WAF ?

interesting point: depends on where in the network the WAF is located

>       b.        How to clean the cache when the WAF policy is changed? Can this be scripted/ automated?

related to 2.a.

>       c.        How to test the cache against cache poisoning scenario?

not a WAF problem, except the WAF *itself* caches (is there any which does this?)

>       d.        If a cache is used , does it mean that SSL certificates need to deployed secured and managed on the load balancer And the cache proxy And the WAF?

not a WAF problem

>       e.        Should the WAF be deployed in front or behind the cache? (advantages/disadvantages)

not a WAF but general infrastructre problem

> 3.      Identity management solutions (SSL VPN belongs to this category and we have many customers who use them in concert BTW) considerations:

i.g. not a WAF problem, but I agree that there are some WAFs which have valuable
authentication mechanisms, I'd suggest that this be a special chapter (adendum for
misc. features) of WAFEC

>       a.        If the WAF includes end user application reporting, can it pool the username from the identity management solution or it means that this WAF feature won't be available?
>       b.        Can the WAF protect the login page of the identity management solution against DOS/Brute Force?
>       c.        Where to deploy the WAF? In front or behind the IM solution?

not a WAF but general infrastructre problem (WAF behind IM with HTTP/HTML
authentication is useless, somehow)

>       d.        SSL certificates... manage secure them on the LB, cache proxy, WAF AND the IM solution?

not a WAF but general infrastructre problem (see 1.b. above)

> 4.      Firewalls/Other security devices
>       a.        Any integration between the WAF and the firewall to block offending IPs?
>       b.        Where to place the WAF? In front or behind the firewall? Advantages/disadvantages ?

not a WAF but general infrastructre problem

>       c.        Is it mandatory to use a firewall in front of the WAF?

yes ;-)

>       d.        Can the WAF integrate with a database firewall? If yes, with who?

If we talk about WAFs working on HTTP(S) application layer, then no unless the
database is accessed on HTTP too (which then is some kind of web server).
The WAF may inform DB servers about detected attacks, like it does for the
firewall.

> General:
> *       How much power and rack space is needed to add a WAF to the datacenter?

not a WAF problem