[WASC-WAFEC] Vote on making WAFEC a WASC/OWASP project

Thomas Brennan TBrennan at trustwave.com
Sat Nov 17 11:01:33 EST 2012

Interesting thread; can you help me understand with clarification on two of your statements;

1 - "But merging project is imho not a good idea because it’s not driven the same way, WASC and OWASP are totally different organizations."

Explain this; both are non-profits (OWASP had the same question that is happening here and this was approved on our side) what is different about the focus with the builder, breaker and defender buckets at OWASP it has a little something for everyone these days focused on software security in all forms.

2 - "OWASP get vendors sponsorship and is also providing tools like vendors…"

You mean supporters that include Boeing, UPS, FedEx, Best Buy, Mozilla, US DHS, and 40+ Universities and industry providers is bad for the platform? Or are you referring to OWASP investing in its core projects on behalf of our mission https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Projects_Reboot_2012

Perception is reality so if we (OWASP Hat) are not doing a good job on the public image I'm all ears/eyes I'll bring it to our board meetings were OPEN

https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Board_Meetings

The core community is so small working together as a professionals is important to awareness regardless of the association flag and occasional troll to the independant missions.

Obviously as a long time list(s) member I support this regardless of who I work for (Disclaimer; Trustwave SpiderLabs the caretaker of the Apache licensed Mod_Security and elected by membership OWASP volunteer)

Feel free to take this off-list if you want but others may also be interested.

Enjoy the weekend.

Tom Brennan
973-202-0122