[WASC-WAFEC] Vote on making WAFEC a WASC/OWASP project

Matthieu Estrade mestrade at apache.org
Sat Nov 17 09:14:30 EST 2012

Hi all,

Sorry for my late answer.

WASC is doing WAFEC and OWASP is also doing good job on WAF subject too. But
merging project is imho not a good idea because it’s not driven the same
way, WASC and OWASP are totally different organizations.

WASC is providing documents about web application security and stay vendors
neutral. OWASP get vendors sponsorship and is also providing tools like
vendors

I’m involved in WASC but I was also in OWASP French chapter, not for the
same goal and the same actions.

Then, to see so much discussion on this topic during the latest 2 weeks and
only 3 emails on the WAFEC 2 content, I would like to end this OWASP/WASC
topic and work on the real subject as soon as possible J

WAFEC 1 is well known not because of vendors inside, but because of the
content and how it’s used by people evaluating WAF.

Speaking as a vendor, more than 50% of people evaluating our product are
using WAFEC based document. They need something updated.

Speaking as an Opensource guy, my only goal Is make WAFEC 2 up to date with
new __security criteria__ we are now dealing with to make people doing the
GOOD choice on what they need.

If others project want to use it as a referral, that’s a good thing. We will
also be able to point on others projects in WAFEC.

But a common project is imho not a good idea, the final cut must stay to the
WAFEC project leader. We don’t have enough community rules to drive it with
votes. Too complex, endless

Just look at this endless discussion on only one topic, what will happen on
each technical point ? We will release WAFEC 2 in 2016

I would prefer to start serious discussion with OWASP to see how we could
promote together our work.

So I vote to NO.

Matthieu