[WASC-WAFEC] WASC/OWASP Web, Application Firewall Evaluation Criteria at AppSec EU2013

Ofer Shezaf ofer at shezaf.com
Wed Nov 14 04:31:39 EST 2012

Christian,

I figured it out finally! The English accent you have is not Australian, it
is URLese! :-)

To the point:
* I think that your idea about creating a workshop based on a test case of
evaluating an open source WAF based on WAFEC is a good one. I would choose
ModSecurity as it would be of interest to more people. As mentioned by
Jeremiah and Bob, this is not an activity WASC would do, rather it can be an
individual initiative. The closest we can get is creating the training
materials. If there is a volunteer to do so, I am willing to do include
creating such training material it in the project scope.

* As to certifying test labs to do WAFEC evaluation: I think we should
socialize WAFEC  with them to use it as  a reference is their work. Actual
certification is complex, prone to create problems (legal comes to mind) and
would probably not be endorsed by ICSA and NSS unless we make WAFEC
ubiquitous. OWASP did not progress in this respect in any project as far as
I know even though the issue is raised from time to time. To sum up: this is
not something we ready for.

~ Ofer