[WASC-WAFEC] Vote on making WAFEC a WASC/OWASP project

Ofer Shezaf ofer at shezaf.com
Tue Nov 13 01:19:42 EST 2012

Bob and Jeremiah,

For better or worse I would not give Christian suggestion to keep only OWASP
in the name a lot of weight  (sorry Christian). It is not a general opinion
but a single voice. As Christian has reservations about OWASP and hence a
joined project , I would take it is away to convey his (valid) opinion about
the initiative.

Whether or not WASC carries a vendor perception is worth discussing,
probably more generally than the context of this thread and in the officers
list. However I would add that I don't see it necessarily as an issue but
rather stating an opinion.  People seem to prefer being able to classify
things in order to give them differentiating value and compartmentalizing
WASC in such a way makes it easier for people to relate. We may want to
divert that to "Security Gurus" categorization, but we certainly want a
distinction.

Specifically for WAFEC the vendor perspective is less a perspective and more
evident: on the WAFEC contributor list, more than half represent WAF
vendors. The same is true for people volunteering so far to write sections.

~ Ofer