[WASC-WAFEC] Vote on making WAFEC a WASC/OWASP project

Ofer Shezaf ofer at shezaf.com
Mon Nov 12 05:17:53 EST 2012

Hi All,

As promised I am opening the vote for making WAFEC a joined WASC and OWASP
project.

The proposed guidelines for this more are (updated based on comments from
the group and WASC officers):

*         The name, when affiliation is used, would be "The WASC/OWASP Web
Application Firewall Evaluation Criteria".

*         Governance would be mutual, i.e. any decision about the project
which is not within the project team itself has to be agreed upon by the
OWASP GPC (i.e. Project Committee) and by the WASC officers. The project
leader is the arbitrator in case of a conflict (this change is based on a
request by Jeremiah Grossman, WASC founder).

*         Participation is open for all and does not require being an OWASP
or a WASC member.

Vote Yes/No. Voting is open until Nov 19th EOD (American Samoa, that is
UTC-11, time zone)

Now for my voting pitch:

I think the change is important and would benefit WAFEC tremendously. I
would go a step further it is needed to ensure we actually succeed:

Why?

*         Making it happen - we need more people. I now have two chapter
assigned and many are still waiting.  Joining hands with OWASP will make
joining the project appealing to many more people.

*         Outreach - people in the application security community have heard
about OWASP, and joining hands with OWASP would enable leveraging this to
reach more people. This includes chapters outreach (from Khartoum, The Sudan
to Omaha, Nebraska) as well as an official room in local and global
conferences.

*         Vendor image - WASC is perceived as a "vendors' organization" and
the list of participants in WAFEC certainly proves that. Affiliation with
OWASP will

help popularize WAFEC also with customers, which I think is very good for
the project.

I must say I think it would be hard for me to complete the project
successfully otherwise.

~ Ofer

Ofer Shezaf

[+972-54-4431119; ofer at shezaf.com <mailto:ofer at shezaf.com> , www.shezaf.com]