[WASC-WAFEC] WAFEC v2 Step 1

Ryan Barnett rcbarnett at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 12:54:21 EST 2011

I will make these comments very brief (we can discuss them later in detail)
-
1. WAFEC is primarily used as an RFP document for end users so we should
focus on this from a data sharing perspective and come up with a different
method (i.e ­ no more spreadsheets pleaseŠ)
2. We need to have a minimum capabilities requirements section so end users
know whether or not they should also be considering Palo Alto or
TippingPoint.  What features are unique to WAF.
3. It would be great to have a decision tree type of interface where,
depending on the end users main concern, they can get a customized view of
data.  For instance ­ when they choose the deployment mode (out of line vs.
reverse proxy vs. bridge), then the remaining sections are applicable
(reference the deployment method capabilities matrix that Ivan linked to).
We could also expand this to cover use-case scenarios.  Basically, we could
remove many "N/A" responses by simply removing it entirely from the view.
4. We should think about the structure of the document to see if there is a
better order of topics.  As was already mentioned by Ivan ­ we should
probably start with Use-Cases.  Why is the user interested in WAF?  PCI?
Recently Hacked?  These scenarios will dictate items such as deployment
modes and blocking capabilities.

-Ryan